A printable version of the following questions is available for Download Here.





What does your program do?

Upon successful completion, you will have learned how to become a safe and responsible motorcyclist, will receive a DMV licensing skills test waiver, and possible insurance discount.

Top of Page

How long does the course take?

The course is approximately 15 ½ hours, which includes 6 ½ hours in the classroom and 9 hours on the motorcycle.

Top of Page

Do I need to have any riding experience?

It is not essential to have any riding experience. However, you need to have the ability to balance and stabilize a two-wheeled vehicle. If you have not ridden a bicycle in a long time, it would be a good idea to get some practice before attempting to ride a motorcycle.

Top of Page

How old do I need to be to take the course?

Any individual 15 ½ years of age or older, who wishes to participate in the Motorcyclist Training Course (MTC) must possess a valid driver’s license, a DMV-issued instruction permit, or a DMV-issued identification card.

NOTE: Participants under the age of 18 must have a parent or legal guardian accompany them to the first classroom session in order to sign all required paperwork, including a liability waiver. Legal Guardians must provide notarized proof of status.

Top of Page

What is the state law pertaining to students under the age of 21?

In California, aspiring riders under the age of 21 must successfully complete the Motorcyclist Training Course (MTC) before being issued a motorcycle permit. After being granted a permit, the riders under 18 must wait six months before becoming eligible for a motorcycle endorsement or license. Top of Page

Can I have an out of state or International Driver’s License?

Yes, as long as your license is valid. An international driver’s license will be accepted for enrollment in the course. 

Top of Page

Do I need to be a certain height?

There are no minimum height restrictions. However, you must have the ability to be able to touch both feet on the ground while straddling a motorcycle and must be able to hold the bike upright when stopping or walking the motorcycle. 

Top of Page

Do I need to get a learner’s permit before I take the course?


Top of Page

What is the cost of the course?

The cost of the CMSP Motorcyclist Training Course is $350 for riders who are 21 years old and older and $295 for students 20 years old and younger. There is a difference in price because the State of California requires that this course be taken in order for individuals under 21 to get their motorcycle license. Because of this, the State has elected to set the price at $295. Please be aware that tuition does not include DMV fees associated with obtaining your motorcycle license.

Top of Page

What do I need to bring to the classroom portions of the course?

We recommend bringing something to write with. On the first day of class, you must bring ONE of the following:

  • Valid Government-issued photo ID
  • Valid Class C Driver’s License (Out of State is acceptable)
  • Valid California DMV-issued Motorcycle Learner’s Permit

Top of Page

What do I need to bring to the riding portions of the course?

  • REQUIRED: Sturdy over the ankle footwear, heavyweight pants with no holes, long sleeved shirt or jacket, leather or motorcycle specific gloves
  • RECOMMENDED: Sunglasses, snacks/drinks, sunscreen, lip balm, bandana, raingear (if needed – we ride rain or shine!)

We do provide water and restroom facilities at the range. Please note breaks are 15 minutes each, so please plan accordingly.

Top of Page

Do I need to bring a motorcycle or helmet to the course?

Motorcycles and helmets are provided, but you are encouraged to bring your own helmet, as long as its full-coverage or ¾-coverage and DOT-compliant and not older than five years. You may also use your own motorcycle with prior approval by the Motorcycle Site Manager.

Top of Page

What size motorcycles do you use?

Our training motorcycles have engines ranging from 125cc to 500cc. We also have several scooters in our fleet that are available upon request. To reserve a scooter, email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. after you have enrolled online.

Top of Page

Can I use my own motorcycle or scooter in the Motorcycle Training Course (MTC)?

Yes, provided the bike meets two of the following three criteria:

  • An engine displacement of 500cc or less.
  • An unladen weight of 400 lbs or less.
  • A seat height of 30” or less.

Prior approval must be given by the Motorcycle Safety Program (MSP) Site Manager.

NOTE: Proof of registration and insurance (minimum required by law) must be provided prior to riding on the range. The bike must be in mechanically sound condition and will be inspected before use on the riding range.

Top of Page

How many students there in the class?

The maximum number in a riding session is 12 students working with 2 instructors. The classroom has a maximum of 36 students working with 1 instructor. 

Top of Page

What if I don’t pass the knowledge test or the skills evaluation?

If you are not successful on the written knowledge test or riding skills test evaluation, you may attempt them at a later time. You are allowed 2 attempts for each test (written & riding). Contact the MSP Site Manager at (858) 621-2313 x128 to schedule a re-take of either the knowledge (written) test or the skills (riding) test evaluation. Please note that there may be fees associated with this.

Top of Page

Will I get a license after the course?

You will receive a skills test waiver (DL 389) after successfully completing the CMSP Motorcyclist Training Course. This waiver will allow graduates to go to the DMV and take only the written test for their motorcycle endorsement. Please be aware that tuition for the CMSP Motorcyclist Training Course does not include DMV fees associated with obtaining your motorcycle license. 

Top of Page

How long do I have to get my license from the DMV after completing the MTC?

Your DL 389 is valid for a period of one year and we encourage you to complete the licensing process as soon as you can. If your DL 389 expires, you are required to re-enroll in the course as a new student and pay the full tuition again.

Top of Page

How do I sign up for the course?

You can sign up online and pay through our secured provider using American Express, MasterCard, Visa or PayPal. Or you may register over the phone at (855) 4.PSC.411 x110. Our office hours are Monday-Thursday, 7am-6pm. Our office is closed Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 

Top of Page

Will I receive a full refund if I change my mind?

No. If you wish to cancel your enrollment, you must do so at least 7 days before the start of your first class session. There will be a $25 processing fee. There will be no refunds issued inside the 7 day window or once the course is in session.

Top of Page

What is the pass rate?

Most students pass the course but not everyone passes on the first attempt. While preparing you for endorsement tests is a function of the course, it is not the primary objective. The goal of the course is to get better, safer motorcyclists on the street and reduce the number of motorcycle related injuries and accidents in California. If you self-drop or are counseled out by an Instructor, you may repeat the course (one time) on a stand-by basis only. Please note that there may be fees associated with this.

Top of Page

Will I get my money back if I don’t pass the course?

We cannot guarantee that everyone will pass. Class size is limited, so even if someone doesn’t show up or doesn’t pass, we still incur expenses. 

Top of Page

How much does it cost to reschedule a class?

If you contact us 7 days before the start of your first class session, we will reschedule your reservation for a $25 processing fee. Reschedules made inside the 7 day window before the first classroom session or once the course is in session will be subject to a $65 processing fee.

Top of Page

What if it rains during my class?

You are going to get wet. ? We ride rain or shine. If it DOES rain, the silver lining is that you get a chance to learn how to ride in soggy weather while you are with a skilled Instructor. While rain gear is not a requirement, it sure is nice to have! We do have limited rain gear at the range available. If the weather becomes extreme, continuation of the class will be at the instructor’s discretion.

Top of Page

What if I arrive late to the classroom or to the riding range?

As our customer, we want your learning experience to be enjoyable and positive, but we need your help. Please arrive to your class location 15 minutes before the start time, so we can process paperwork and begin your class on time. If you are unsure about your class location, please take some time to find it before your class starts. Please understand that if you do not arrive to your class location on time, we will start without you and a portion of your registration fee will be forfeited. Students must successfully complete all class and range sessions (in the correct order) to be issued a California DMV Certificate of Completion (DL389). 

Top of Page

What if I am counseled-out or miss one of my course sessions?

You will be placed in a “stand-by” status, and have 60 days from your first class date to complete all class sessions including the riding skills evaluation. To retake portions of the course, there is a $65 fee. Please call our office at (858) 621-2313 x110 to register as a stand-by.

NOTE: If you are unable to complete the course within 60 days from your first class date, you must retake the course in its entirety.

Top of Page

Will some companies reimburse me for taking the Motorcycle Training Course (MTC)?

Yes, some dealerships and motorcycle manufacturers may offer an incentive to encourage you to take the MTC. Talk to your local dealership and motorcycle shop to find out what benefits they offer, and what proof of completion you need to obtain the benefit. 

Top of Page

Will my insurance company award me a discount on insurance?

Many insurance companies offer a discount for successful completion of the Motorcyclist Training Course; contact your preferred insurance provider to inquire. 

Top of Page

How do I obtain a replacement DL 389?

Total Control Training, the CMSP contract manager, is responsible for replacement DL389’s. Please complete the DL 389 Replacement Form found here and send to Total Control, along with a copy of your driver’s license. DL 389s expire 12 months from the original date of issue and will not be reissued once it has expired. Obtaining a reissued DL 389 will not extend the expiration date. If it has already expired, you will need to take the entire course again to receive a new DL 389 certificate. Only CMSP is authorized to reissue the DL 389. Replacement DL 389s may take up to 5 working days to process. 

Top of Page

Is the course offered in Spanish?

No. The California Highway Patrol mandates that the classes be offered only in English. Written course materials are offered in Spanish. 

Top of Page

Can my friend or family member watch me ride?

Spectators are not allowed for safety reasons; friends and family will be asked to leave. 

Top of Page

Can I enroll in the course if my license is suspended/restricted?

No. Any potential student who possesses a license that has been restricted due to one or more convictions for driving while impaired may not participate in any CMSP MTC until all restrictions to the license have been lifted. All potential students will be asked to attest that they are not in possession of a restricted license. 

Top of Page

What if my question was not on this list?

Send us an email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we will respond to you as soon as possible. Please note our office hours are Monday-Thursday, 7am-6pm. Our office is closed Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 

Top of Page


MTC Fees

Gift Certificates Available